Aikido is a dynamic Japanese martial art focused on self-defence and self-development. Its techniques involve throwing or restraining an attacker using co-ordinated body movement. Aikido training develops body awareness, fitness and flexibility, timing and sensitivity, and physical and mental resilience. On a deeper level, the art is an exploration of personal interaction, the psychology of conflict, and traditional Japanese culture. (Read more…)
Our next six-week beginners’ course starts on Monday 16 January 2017.
The course will introduce you to all the basics of aikido, including stretching, rolling, falling safely, basic throwing and pinning techniques and dojo etiquette. The six-week course should satisfy your curiosity and help you decide whether aikido is for you.
- Philippe Gouttard in Galway, 22 November 2015
- Michael O’Donovan course in Galway, 27 June 2015
- Philippe Gouttard in Galway, 19 October 2014
- Michael O’Donovan, one-day course, 31 May 2014
- Reflections on training in the Aikikai Hombu Dojo, Tokyo
- Michael O’Donovan course, January 2013
- Special seminar, Saturday 26 May 2012
- Video: Advanced practice at Atlantic Aikido